Become a personal trainer
SIS40221 CERTificate iV IN FITNESS
The SIS40221 Certificate IV in Fitness will allow you to become a fully qualified personal trainer.
This PT training qualification reflects the role of personal trainers who have specialist skills to train individual clients, or groups of clients, on a one-on-one or group basis to improve health-related components of Fitness in relatively low-risk situations, including training demographics such as of older clients and adolescents.
They have a substantial depth of knowledge to plan, conduct and evaluate exercise training; provide leadership and guidance to clients and other staff; and deal with unpredictable situations applying defined guidelines and procedures from the fitness industry and the organisation.
Personal trainers work independently or with limited guidance from others and use discretion to solve non-routine problems, including monitoring and managing business activities to operate efficiently and profitably.
The PT training course qualification does not provide the skills and knowledge for an individual to provide advice or exercise instruction to high-risk clients other than to refer the client to an appropriate medical or allied health professional.
This qualification will provide students with a substantial depth of knowledge to plan, conduct and evaluate exercise training; provide leadership and guidance to clients and other staff; and deal with unpredictable situations applying defined guidelines and procedures from the fitness industry and the organisation. In addition, this qualification will provide students with the skills and knowledge to work independently or with limited supervision.
A Personal Training Course with FIT College will provide you with the tools, support, and network to kick start your Fitness and personal training career.
flexible On campus & online Fitness Study options
Outcomes & Job Opportunities
When you graduate with a SIS40221 Certificate IV in Fitness from FIT College, you will be able to register as a Personal Trainer with AUSActive, the National Register for Industry Professionals.
As a Personal Trainer, you will be involved in various activities and functions within the fitness industry, including working independently in a broad range of settings, such as within fitness centres, gyms, pools, community facilities, and open spaces. In addition, personal Trainers will be expected to train individual clients one-on-one, including older clients and adolescents.
Personal Trainers will have the ability to plan, conduct and evaluate exercise training, provide leadership and guidance to clients and other staff, and adapt to deal with unpredictable situations. FIT College will go above and beyond to prepare you for these scenarios throughout our Personal Training Course.
Personal Trainers will have the ability to monitor and manage business activities to operate efficiently and profitably.
What career opportunities following completion of the sis40321 Certificate IV in Fitness will get you:
- The ability to register with the National Register for Industry Professionals AUSActive
- Work within predictable and unpredictable settings such as a fitness facility, outdoor environments, and client centred studios
- Provide individually tailored client assessments, long term programs, personal training, ongoing assessments and reviews
- Ability to work with a range of clients across a range of fitness and health-related goals
- Ability to develop, own and manage your own fitness business
- Ability to market, promote and adapt your fitness services
- Ability to employ and oversee other fitness professionals
With this Personal Trainer course You can gain work as a:
- Personal trainer
- Children and older adult trainer
- Group fitness trainer
- Outdoor group trainer
Course Entry Requirements:
Entry to a SIS40221 Certificate IV in Fitness will require the completion of pre-requisites from SIS30321:
- HLTAID011 Provide First Aid
- SISFFIT001 Provide health screening and fitness orientation
- HLTWHS001 Participate in workplace health and safety
- SISFFIT032 Complete pre-exercise screening and service orientation
- SISFFIT033 Complete client fitness assessments
- SISFFIT035 Plan group exercise sessions
- SISFFIT036 Instruct group exercise sessions
- SISFFIT040 Develop and instruct gym-based exercise programs for individual clients
- SISFFIT047 Use anatomy & physiology knowledge to support safe & effective exercise
- SISFFIT052 Provide healthy eating information
In addition, applicants must meet the course LLN requirements. This course option is only available to holders of a previous SRF or SIS fitness certificate.
Topics and Competencies covered in FIT College SIS40221 Certificate IV in Fitness
LEAD EFFECTIVE TEAMS
This topic covers the skills, knowledge, and outcomes required to lead a team’s performance and develop team cohesion.
- BSBLDR414 - Lead team effectiveness
- SIRXTAD003 - Coach others for success
- SISXIND005 - Coordinate work teams or groups
MOVEMENT ASSESSEMENT & PRESCRIPTION
This topic covers the skills, knowledge and outcomes required to assess movement capacity in individual clients and provide advice on exercises to achieve optimal movement and safe and effective exercise technique.
- SISFFIT034 - Assess client movement and provide exercise advice
- CHCEDS040 - Search and access online information
EFFECTIVE PERSONAL TRAINING
This topic covers the skills, knowledge and outcomes required to develop exercise programs and sessions based on exercise science principles and tailored to individual client needs, exercise preferences and fitness goals. In addition, it covers skills for modifying programs in response to ongoing client monitoring and feedback.
- SISFFIT041 - Develop personalised exercise programs
- SISFFIT042 - Instruct personalised exercise sessions
- SISFFIT049 - Use exercise science principles in fitness instruction
NUTRITION & BEHAVIOUR CHANGE
This topic covers the skills, knowledge and outcomes required to identify individual client needs for healthy eating advice and provide information that supports clients to establish healthier eating patterns.
As part of this qualification, students will be required to complete a four (4) week Behaviour Project Report from the Nutrition & Behaviour Change Topic
- SISFFIT053 - Support healthy eating for individual fitness clients
- SISFFI050 - Support exercise behaviour change
- HLTPOP014 - Assess readiness for and effect behaviour change
BODY COMPOSITION TRAINING
This topic covers the skills, knowledge and outcomes required to develop and instruct exercise programs and sessions specifically tailored to meet body composition goals for individual clients.
- SISFFIT043 - Develop and instruct personalised exercise programs for body composition goals
- CHCCOM006 - Establish and manage client relationships
TRAINING ADOLESCENT CLIENTS
This topic covers the skills, knowledge and outcomes required to complete pre-exercise screening and fitness assessments for individual clients aged thirteen to seventeen years and develop and instruct exercise programs and sessions specifically tailored for these clients.
- SISFFIT045 - Develop and instruct personalised exercise programs for adolescent clients
- SISFFIT046 - Plan and instruct online exercise sessions
TRAINING OLDER CLIENTS
This topic covers the skills, knowledge and outcomes required to develop and instruct exercise programs and sessions tailored to older individuals. Older clients are those aged at least 55 years; however, they can be significantly older.
- SISFFIT044 - Develop and instruct personalised exercise programs for older clients
- SISFFIT051 - Establish and maintain professional practice for fitness instruction