Become a personal trainer
SIS40215 CERTificate iV IN FITNESS
A SIS40215 Certificate IV in Fitness will give you the opportunity to become a fully qualified personal trainer.
This PT training qualification reflects the role of personal trainers who have specialist skills to train individual clients, or groups of clients, on a one-on-one or group basis, to improve health related components of fitness in relatively low risk situations. This may include training of older clients and children.
They have a substantial depth of knowledge to plan, conduct and evaluate exercise training; provide leadership and guidance to clients and other staff; and deal with unpredictable situations applying defined guidelines and procedures from the fitness industry and the organisation.
They work independently or with limited guidance from others and use discretion to solve non-routine problems, including monitoring and managing business activities to operate efficiently and profitably.
The PT training course qualification does not provide the skills and knowledge for an individual to provide advice or exercise instruction to high risk clients, other than to refer the client to an appropriate medical or allied health professional.
This PT course qualification provides a pathway to work in a diversity of fitness industry businesses including fitness centres, gyms, aquatic facilities, community facilities and in open spaces, where risk management (through risk assessment and hazard control processes) does
not already exist.
A Personal Training Course with FIT College will provide you the tools, support and network to kick start your career in Fitness and Personal Training.
flexible On campus & online Fitness Study options
PT Course Outcomes & Job Opportunities
What a Certificate IV Fitness will get you:
- Work within predictable and unpredictable settings such as a fitness facility, outdoor environments, and client centred studios
- Provide individually tailored client assessments, long term programs, personal training and ongoing assessments and reviews
- Ability to work with a range of clients across a range of fitness and health related goals
- Ability to develop, own and manage your own fitness business
- Ability to market and promote your fitness services
- Ability to employ and oversee other fitness professionals
With this Personal Trainer course You can gain work as a:
- Personal trainer
- Children and older adult trainer
- Group fitness trainer
- Outdoor group trainer
PT Training Course Entry Requirements:
Entry to this Personal Trainer Course qualification is open to those who hold a current first aid and current CPR certificate and who have achieved the following units of competency:
- SISFFIT001 – Provide health screening and fitness orientation
- SISFFIT002 – Recognise and apply exercise considerations for specific populations
- SISFFIT003 – Instruct fitness programs
- SISFFIT004 – Incorporate anatomy and physiology principles into fitness programming
- SISFFIT005 – Provide healthy eating information
- SISFFIT006 – Conduct fitness appraisals
- SISFFIT014 – Instruct exercise to older clients
- SISXCCS001 – Provide quality service
Topics and Competencies covered in FIT College Certificate IV in Fitness (SIS40215)
Healthy Eating Prescription
Work within scope of practice in nutrition when discussing energy balance, dietary guidelines, nutrient density, and macronutrients. You will also cover dietitian or general practitioner referral guidelines.
- SISFFIT025 – Recognise the dangers of providing nutrition advice to clients
- SISFFIT026 – Support healthy eating through the Eat for Health Program
Functional Movement Assessment
Conduct the 7 Moves exercise, static alignment, and muscle function screen. Become proficient at observing a client’s movement and how to use screening results to perfect program design.
- SISFFIT018 – Promote functional movement capacity
Introduction to Exercise Science
Understand physiological and mechanical principles used to improve the health & fitness of clients. This topic has a fat loss theme for learning the general science of exercise to help clients achieve their fat loss goals.
- SISFFIT019 – Incorporate exercise science principles into fitness programming
- SISFFIT023 – Instruct group personal training programs
- SISXRES001 – Conduct sustainable work practices in open spaces
Programming for Personal Training
Design personal training programs for a variety of clients in controlled and uncontrolled environments. Plan, instruct and evaluate long-term exercise programs. This topic has a specific theme of lean weight gain and the science behind composition goals.
- SISFFIT016 – Provide motivation to positively influence exercise behaviour
- SISFFIT020 – Instruct exercise programs for body composition goals
- SISFFIT021 – Instruct personal training programs
Strength & Conditioning Information
Conduct specialised sports specific tests, and implement a range of training methods. Learn specific strength & conditioning techniques for how to plan, implement and evaluate long term training programs for individuals, groups and teams.
- SISFFIT017 – Instruct long-term exercise programs
- SISFFIT024 – Instruct endurance programs
- SISXCAI010 – Develop strength and conditioning programs
- SISXCAI009 – Instruct strength and conditioning techniques
- SISXCAI005 – Conduct individualised long-term training programs
Younger & Specific Populations
Personal training for children and youth in the 13-17 year age group and other specific populations. Write specific and realistic training programs for these populations and deliver the programs in a range of settings and conditions.
- SISFFIT012 - Instruct movement programs to children aged 5 to 12 years
- SISFFIT013 – Instruct exercise to young people aged 13 to 17 years
- SISFFIT015 – Collaborate with medical and allied health professionals in a fitness context
Introduction to Fitness Business
Start a small business. Develop a business plan including goals, financial and legal considerations, key marketing aspects, concepts, and methods. Identify branding and sales opportunities to excel in the fitness market.
- BSBSMB401 – Establish legal and risk management requirements of small business
- BSBSMB403 – Market the small business
- BSBSMB404 – Undertake small business planning
- BSBSMB421 – Manage small business finances
* UNITS CURRENT AS OF JUNE 2020