Become a gym instructor
SIS30315 - CERT iii IN FITNESS
A Certificate III in Fitness (SIS30315) is your entry level fitness course into the Fitness Industry. It will give you the opportunity to become a Gym Instructor.
This qualification reflects the role of instructors who perform a range of activities and functions within the fitness industry. Depending on the specialisation chosen, this qualification provides a pathway to work as an instructor providing exercise instruction for group, aqua or gym programs.
They work independently with some level of autonomy in a controlled environment such as fitness, leisure, aquatic and community centres where risks are managed through pre-existing risk assessment and hazard control processes.
FIT College will provide you with the tools, support and network to kick start your career in Fitness with the perfect Fitness course for you.
Study your way with our flexible study options
Outcomes & Job Opportunities
When you graduate with a Certificate III in Fitness (SIS30315) from FIT College you can register as a Gym Instructor. You will be involved in the assessment, training and supervision of a variety of people in health and fitness centres, gyms, sports centres and community organisations.
Gym Instructors are trained in fitness activity specific competencies to instruct individuals and group clients in specified work environments, under predictable circumstances. They can work under the guidance of a highly qualified professional.
Contact FIT College today to discuss your fitness course options and opportunities in the Fitness and Personal Training Industry.
What a Certificate III Fitness will get you:
- Work within predictable settings such as a fitness facility, recreation or community facility
- Provide individually tailored client assessments, program development, program demonstration and client reviews
- Provide supervision of a facility or service (i.e. observing client use of facilities)
- Providing technique correction as needed, keeping equipment clean/tidy/well-maintained, being available for customer inquiries or assistance)
- Typically reports to a manager but is not always directly supervised during work duties.
You can gain work as A:
- Gym Instructor
- Circuit instructor
- Group fitness instructor
- Outdoor group instructor
Topics and Competencies covered in FIT College Certificate III in Fitness (SIS30315)
Industry Scope & Service
This is your introduction to the fitness industry. You will learn about equipment types, risk assessment skills, work place safety, conflict styles, how to deliver quality service, and the value of social media to the industry, as well as an individual’s own PT business.
- SISXCCS001 – Provide quality service
- SISXFAC001 – Maintain equipment for activities
- SISXIND001 – Work effectively in sport, fitness and recreation environments
- BSBRSK401 – Identify risk and apply risk management processes
- HLTWHS001 – Participate in workplace health and safety
- ICTWEB201 – Use social media tools for collaboration and engagements
- HLTAID003 – Provide first aid
Healthy Eating Information
This topic covers the relationship between healthy eating and fitness related goals. You will learn how to provide basic information on healthy eating related to government guidelines and scope of practice. You will learn how to discuss healthy eating and refer clients to specialists for further consultation.
- SISFFIT005 – Provide healthy eating information
Introduction to Anatomy & Physiology
The science behind the human body helps you understand how it moves and the energy systems and structures required for this movement. Covering topics from anatomy and physiology to exercise instruction, you will learn to develop fitness programs for low risk clients.
- SISFFIT004 – Incorporate anatomy & physiology principles into fitness programming
Health & Fitness Orientation
Assist clients in starting their fitness journey. By using basic health assessment, how to determine a person’s fitness and compare results with normative data of the Australian population. This topic is very practical allowing time to develop your client interaction skills.
- SISFFIT001 – Provide health screening and fitness orientation
- SISFFIT006 – Conduct fitness appraisals
Programming for Fitness Instruction
Develop fitness programs based on the screening results gained previously and learn skills to modify programs to suit specific needs, environments and activities. You will plan and deliver programs in a variety of situations, using a wide range of equipment.
- SISFFIT003 – Instruct fitness programs
Instruct Group Sessions
Learn to manage exercise considerations common to specific population groups, such as children, women, older adults, clients with a disability, and culturally and linguistically diverse (CALD) groups. Specific information regarding males over 45 years of age and females over 55 years of age will also be covered.
- SISFFIT007 – Instruct group exercise sessions
- SISFFIT011 – Instruct approved community fitness programs
Older & Specific Populations
Develop fitness programs across a range of group settings and environments. You will learn how to plan, develop, implement and review individual and community-based group strength and fitness programs, including the ability to select and sequence appropriate music for the activity.
- SISFFIT014 – Instruct exercise to older adults
- SISFFIT002 – Recognise and apply exercise considerations for specific populations